Enjoy the sunshine and take a hike down a less-traveled path!
With summer season in full swing, it’s a great time to plan your next hiking journey in Mountaineer Country. With a warm breeze and colourful flowers, you possibly can take a hike down your favourite trail and experience the scenic views. Looking to escape to a new footpath? Try out certainly one of these high 10 areas that are only a short drive from downtown Morgantown—read to the tip for a bonus!
Ready to Hike Like A Pro?
As the third most forested state, West Virginia is the proper place to see fall color. To assist you to explore the more than 1,500+ miles of trails throughout the state, we’ve teamed up with AllTrails, the #1 hiking app. Click the button below to claim a one-year FREE AllTrails Pro subscription and start traversing the paths of West Virginia.
Send Me My Free Code
Coopers Rock State Forest
Coopers Rock State Forest is certainly one of Mountaineer Country’s most popular locations. With 21 different trails weaving practically 50 miles by way of the beautiful woodlands of West Virginia, Coopers Rock State Forest provides simple to average hiking trails to suit you and your family’s hiking style.
* Be on the lookout for the eco-sculptures positioned near the main overlook of Coopers Rock State Forest!
* Roadside Trail – An easy trail that leads from the car parking zone located near the forest entrance to the principle scenic overlook, a 1,200-foot drop to the Cheat River Canyon.
* Rattlesnake Trail – Winds along the rocky cliffs parallel to the rim of the Cheat River Canyon.
* Raven Rock – Leads to the Raven’s Rock overlook, providing a different, but spectacular view of the Cheat River Canyon.
* Rhododendron Trail – The excellent place to see the state flower, the rhododendron. Along the trail, the Henry Clay Iron Furnace that was used to provide iron in the 1800s could be discovered.
* Virgin Hemlock Trail – An straightforward one-hour hike by way of a hemlock tree grove courting round 300 years old. Listen for the stream trickling alongside the trail.
Tygart Lake State Park
Tygart Lake State Park is situated in Taylor County, just east of Grafton, WV. The lake itself is man-made, built by the US Army Corps of Engineers together with the Tygart Dam that is used to hold up overflow from the Monongahela and Ohio Rivers. While there may be plenty to do on the water, the land that surrounds the lake welcomes hikers of all ability and endurance levels.
* Tygart Lake State Park has 5 Trails, starting from 0.5 miles to 2 miles in size.
* Picnic areas can be discovered alongside the trails and on the shoreline of the lake.
* Cabins and campgrounds surrounding the Lake provide hikers options for overnight trips to the world.
* Tygart Lake’s crystal clear waters are excellent for swimmers and fishers alike, with lake access out there and varied points along the shoreline.
Cheat Lake Park and Trail
Cheat Lake BackwatersThe Cheat Lake Trail is a four.5-mile long trail that follows the Lake Lynn shoreline. Original elements of a railroad bridge lead you over Cheat Lake’s calm and shady backwaters in an otherwise densely wooded space.
View of the seashore at Cheat Lake Park from the trail.Highlights
* Cheat Lake Park and Trail is probably one of the 4 public access points to Cheat Lake.
* Swimming and fishing access can be found.
* The park features a man-made seaside and playground.
* A nature viewing area is situated at the southern tip of the trail, excellent for viewing migratory water birds.
* Huge millstones can be discovered alongside the trail from space grist mills that have been in operation before the flip of the century.
Download Map of Trail
WVU Core Arboretum
The WVU Core Arboretum is an escape from the hustle and bustle within Morgantown city limits. Tucked between Monongahela Boulevard and the Monongahela River, The WVU Core Arboretum has quite so much of natural habitats in its three.5 miles of trails. Several hundred species of native West Virginia bushes, shrubs and herbaceous crops are scattered all through the Arboretum.
* The Amphitheater – The WVU Core Arboretum supports instructing and provides an eighty-seat facility used as an open-air assembly place.
* Interpretive indicators are throughout the Arboretum to assist hikers identify numerous flora. Some of the large bushes are over 200 years old.
* Spring ephemeral wildflowers can be seen from late March to early May. The Sheldon Trail and Rumsey Trail will offer you essentially the most wildflower sightings.
* Caperton Rail-Trail passes through the Arboretum, linking visitors to a large, far-reaching, and growing rail-trail system.
* A small coal mine sits recessed in Morgantown Sandstone on the Cliff Trail.
* A floodplain trail leads previous a lagoon filled with cattails and aquatic crops growing in the moist area that was formerly a river channel.
Cranesville Swamp is probably considered one of the few remaining arboreal bogs in the southern United States and is an astonishing 1,650-acre protect. Positioned in a pure bowl or “frost pocket,” the climate is extra consistent with northerly regions permitting for the swamp to harbor many plants, birds and mammals which might be usually only seen further north.
cranberry, sedge, and sundewHighlights
* Lucky visitors might spot the uncommon northern water shrew or catch a glimpse of a black bear rummaging by way of the shrub thickets surrounding Muddy Creek.
* Look for the 19 totally different plant communities that flourish within the unusual setting.
* Bring binoculars to catch a glimpse of more than a hundred chook species, such as alder flycatcher or blackburnian warbler.
The Allegheny Trail, near Bruceton Mills, is the longest footpath positioned primarily in West Virginia. The trail passes via the Allegheny Mountains and into Preston County for a complete of 330 miles earlier than connecting with the Appalachian Trail, the longest hiking-only footpath on the earth.
* This part of the Allegheny Trail is positioned on rural nation roads that are seldom traveled.
* These roads are located on high plateaus and offer astounding views of the Preston County farmland and hay meadows where bobolinks carry out courtship flights in May.
* Intriguing historic sites similar to a restored one-room schoolhouse, two old graveyards, and the Lantz Ridge Church may be seen alongside the trail.
* The trail is parallel to the Cheat River and traverses Big Sandy Creek making for great fishing alternatives.
* The Monongahela National Forest may be entered through the Allegheny Trail and is taken into account one of the ecologically various nationwide forests within the nation.
Deckers Creek Trail
Deckers Creek Trail gets its name from the stream it follows. Starting at Hazel Ruby McQuain Riverfront Park in Morgantown to barely west of Reedsville, W.Va in Preston County, the rail trail follows scenic Deckers Creek upstream with an elevation change of 1,000 toes for more than 19 miles. The scenic landscapes are secluded with hardwoods, hemlock, rhododendron, and rock outcroppings.
* There are many different atmospheres to view along the trail. Beginning in metropolis limits, hikers have entry to Marilla Park, neighboring restaurants, and food stores. The trail quickly strikes into habitats of fields and farms, dense woods, hemlock groves, and wetlands.
* There are many opportunities to view a selection of birds.
* The trail opens up to Deckers Creek Gorge simply exterior of city limits where hikers can view spectacular waterfalls and sought-after Class VI rapids.
* You might spot some highly experienced kayakers and rock climbers whereas on the trail.
* Be looking out for close-up views of two active limestone quarries.
* Less than one mile from the trail on Route 92 is Arthurdale, the nation’s first New Deal Homestead.
* Visit the Heritage District and Museum that’s near the Trail.
Download Map of Trail
The West Virginia Botanic Garden
The West Virginia Botanic Garden was previously often identified as Tibbs Run Reservoir, which supplied water to the Morgantown space from 1912 to 1969. Some remnants of the old structures are still visible on the property and could be seen from the Reservoir Loop Trail. All trails are comparatively flat and include the Forest Trail, Tibbs Crossing Trail and the Farside Trail.
* The Garden is open to the basic public from daybreak till nightfall as a community resource with academic walks, workshops, and activities out there throughout the year.
* Try Yoga within the Park or the Nature Photography Workshop
* Hammocks are placed throughout the Garden for hikers to loosen up can chill out and enjoy the pure bounty. The hammocks are a part of the Botanical Garden’s newest art set up project, “Hammock Haven.”
Big Bear Lake and Camplands
Big Bear Lake and Camplands is a quantity one hiking vacation spot only 45 minutes outdoors of Morgantown. Its 4 looping trails provide varying levels of issue, starting from eight to 20 miles lengthy for a total of 50 diverse miles. Nestled within the heart of the Appalachian Mountains, hikers benefit from the problem of mountain trails with a number of the finest foliage and terrain on the east coast.
* Set in a lush wooded surroundings, Big Bear Lake is surrounded by over 5000 acres of property to explore and revel in. It has turn into a haven for many outside fanatics and nature lovers alike.
* Pine Forest Trail and Beaver Creek Trail are our top picks. Be ready for rocky, single-track technical trails acceptable for intermediate to superior hikers.
* Events just like the Insane Inflatable 5K and the Ragnar Trail Relay hold hikers coming again.
Cathedral State Park
supply: fineartamerica.comCathedral State Park is a 133-acre ancient hemlock forest of majestic proportions. Trees stand as a lot as ninety ft excessive and 21 toes in circumference. Plus, greater than 170 species of vascular flora and over 50 species of wildflowers have been cataloged.
* The forest is nearly untouched and reflects what the landscape would look like if other wooded areas had never been timbered.
* The park houses one of many last residing commemorations of the vast virgin hemlock forest that when flourished within the Appalachian highlands.
* Cathedral Trail and Giant Hemlock Trail supply the best viewing alternatives.
BONUS: Monongahela River Trail
The Monongahela River Trail meanders by way of a wooded river valley. As its name suggests, there are many scenic views of the Monongahela River and an occasional waterfall could also be found while hiking alongside the trail.
* The trail is thought for its number of wildflowers within the spring.
* Visitors to the trail can travel the whole route, beginning in Fairmont, WV and ending in Point Marion, PA. A fast detour in Morgantown will take you eastward alongside the Deckers-Creek Trail all the finest way to Reedsville, WV.
* The trail is open to hikers, walkers, and cyclists. Kayaking is also allowed on the Monongahela River, as the waters are calm and flow north-easterly towards Pennsylvania.
Download Map of Trail
Share your Mountaineer Country hiking photographs with us by using #VisitMountaineerCountry!
Interested in attending multiple event this weekend? Stay overnight at one of the many motels and lodgings in Morgantown. Click to reserve your stay.